Stephen O’Malley

The Count is a free man

Posted: May 23, 2009

The Count is a free man

Varg Vikernes on trial
Released after nearly 16 years in prison.

( - I can confirm that I soon released, "said Vikernes told Dagbladet.

In September last year he received the rejection of his fourth application for parole from Kriminal care, but for a couple weeks ago he was pleased the message he has long waited for. After almost 16 years in prison, release him now out.

But he is not interested to comment on when this happens.

Moves to Telemark
- I have to report in one year. Each fourteenth day the first time, then once a month, "said Vikernes, who believes that there is something good out of sitting in prison.

He has the last couple years has been the so-called open prison in Tromsø.

Vikernes was after verdict (21 years) from 1994, was on parole in 2006, but due to a new law that came in 2002 - he got two more years.

Relieved mom
In last summer went Vikernes his mother hard in Dagbladet and believed Kriminal care deliberately tried to destroy her son.

Now she is very relieved.

- I am very happy that he has been so strong and persevered. It will be good for the family that they can be together every day, "she says.

36-year-old will live on a small farm in Telemark, where his wife and their eighteen-year-old son has lived the last years.

Ready for the community
- I have barely seen my son since he came to the world. Although I hear his voice on the phone almost every day, it is very tough and not be present when he grows up. I miss my family. And I look forward the day that I can work on the farm, make music, write books and be with your wife and kids around the clock - and live a normal life as a family, said Vikernes to Dagbladet last summer.

Asked whether he feels ready for the community, he responded:

- I'm ready for society - it has been for many years. I have learned from my mistakes and become older. Now I just want to be with my family. My mind has never been in prison.

Vikernes, also known as "Count", was 16. May 1994 sentenced to 21 years in prison for murder of Øystein Aarseth and to have burned down Åsane church in Bergen, Skjold Church in the world and Holmenkollen Chapel in Oslo - and the attempts of arson in the Big Tveit Church in Bergen.